During the period beginning at 12 noon, New York time, on March 7th and ending at 3:59:59 p.m., New York time, on March 9th, clubs are permitted to contact, and enter into contract negotiations with the certified agents of players who will become Unrestricted Free Agents upon the expiration of their 2016 player contracts at 4:00 p.m., New York time, on March 9. However, a contract cannot be executed with a new club until 4:00 p.m., New York time, on March 9.
During the above two-day negotiating period, no direct contact is permitted between a prospective unrestricted free agent and any employee or representative of a club, other than the player’s current club.
The 2017 League Year and Free Agency period begin at 4:00 p.m., New York time.
The first day of the 2017 League Year will end at 11:59:59 p.m., New York time, on March 9. Clubs will receive a personnel notice that will include all transactions submitted to the League office during the period between 4:00 p.m., New York time, and 11:59:59 p.m., New York time, on March 9.
Trading period for 2017 begins at 4:00 p.m., New York time, after expiration of all 2016 contracts.
SIMMONS AT A GLANCE:
• A safety who opened 32-of-50 games at Boston College, racking up 229 tackles (165 solo), eight interceptions (50 yds.), 22 passes defensed, four forced fumbles, four fumble recoveries and one sack (15 yds.).
• Started 25 consecutive games during his last two seasons, opening games at safety (19) and cornerback (6) for the Eagles.
• Totaled 67 tackles (49 solo), five interceptions (28 yds.), seven passes defensed, two forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries in 12 starts at safety in his senior campaign.
• Named to the Atlantic-Coast Conference’s Second Team in 2015 after helping Boston College rank first in the FBS in total defense (254.3 ypg.).
• Tallied a team-best 76 tackles (63 solo) in addition to registering two interceptions (20 yds.), seven passes defensed and one sack (15 yds.) in 13 starts as a junior.
• Attended Martin County High School in Stuart, Fla., earning All-Area Defensive Player of the Year honors in addition to being named second-team All-Florida.
• Selected by the Broncos in the third round (98th overall) of the 2016 NFL Draft.
2015: Simmons started all 12 games at safety for the nation’s top-ranked defense (254.3 ypg.)... Finished with 67 tackles (49 solo), five interceptions (28 yds.), seven passes defensed, two forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries, earning All-Atlantic Coast Conference second-team honors... Ranked second in the ACC with five interceptions... Tallied a season-high nine tackles and returned an interception 28 yards at Clemson (10/17)... Recorded three turnovers—two interceptions and forced and recovered one fumble—vs. Notre Dame (11/21), earning ACC Defensive Back of the Week honors.
2014: Simmons opened all 13 games in his junior campaign, starting the first seven contests at safety before moving to cornerback for the final six games... Led the team with 76 tackles (63 solo) and added two intercep- tions (20 yds.), seven passes defensed and one sack (15 yds.)... Contributed to the nation’s second-ranked rush defense (94.5 ypg.)... Recorded two solo tackles, one sack (15 yds.) and one interception (20 yds.) at Massachusetts (8/30)... Notched a career-high 11 tackles (10 solo) vs. Colorado State (9/27)... Posted eight tackles (six solo) at No. 1 Florida State (11/22).
2013: Simmons saw action in all 13 games, recording 34 tackles (22 solo), three passes defensed and one fumble recovery... Registered six tackles and one pass defensed at Maryland (11/23)... Tallied six solo tackles and one fumble recovery against Arizona (12/31) at the AdvoCare v100 Independence Bowl in Shreveport, La.
2012: Simmons appeared in all 12 games as a true-freshman, starting six contests at safety and one at cornerback... Registered 52 tackles (31 solo), one interception (2 yds.), five passes defensed and two forced fumbles.
HIGH SCHOOL: Simmons attended Martin County High School in Stuart, Fla., where he earned All-Area Defensive Player of the Year honors from Scripps Treasure Coast Newspapers ... Named second-team all-state as a senior in addition to first-team all-area as a junior and senior... Played in the Palm Beach County-Treasure Coast Senior All-Star Game... Totaled 24 career interceptions and returned two for touchdowns in addition to seeing action at wide receiver and running back.
PERSONAL: Simmons majored in communications at Boston College and was presented with the Jay McGillis Memorial Scholarship... Justin Simmons was born on Nov. 19, 1993, in Manassas, Va.
Rookie safety Justin Simmons shows off his skills on Broncos TV.
Phil Milani talks 1-on-1 with third-round pick Justin Simmons about choosing football over basketball, married life and his sportscasting aspirations.
Third-round pick Justin Simmons gets the call that the Broncos are selecting him in the 2016 NFL Draft.
BTV's Phil Milani talks with VP of Football ops & GM John Elway on the Broncos third-round draft pick, safety Justin Simmons.