MILLER AT A GLANCE:
• A third-year linebacker who became the first player in Broncos history to earn a Pro Bowl selection in each of his first two NFL seasons.
• Voted as runner-up for the NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 2012, finishing the season ranked in the league’s Top 5 in sacks (18.5), quarterback knockdowns (27), quarterback hurries (12), tackles for a loss (28), run stuffs (13) and forced fumbles (6).
• Tied for the third-most sacks (30) by an NFL player through his first two years (since 1982), including 18.5 sacks during the 2012 campaign to set a Broncos single-season record.
• Joined DeMarcus Ware (Dal., 2008) in 2012 as one of just two players since at least 1994 with 15 sacks, 25 tackles for a loss and five forced fumbles in a single season.
• Won the AFC Defensive Player of the Month honors after leading the conference with eight sacks and 10 tackles for a loss in November 2012.
• Received All-Pro recognition from the Associated Press following each of his first two seasons, including first-team designation in 2012 and second-team honors as a rookie in 2011.
• Named NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year and a Pro Bowl starter in 2011 after tying the franchise rookie sack record (11.5).
• Finished fifth on the Broncos with 64 tackles (50 solo) as a rookie in addition to leading the club with 19 tackles for a loss and 24 quarterback hits in 15 starts.
• Became just the second player in Broncos history (K David Treadwell, 1989) to be selected to the Pro Bowl as a rookie.
• Posted 27.5 sacks in 26 starts over his last two seasons at Texas A&M University and won the Butkus Award (nation’s best linebacker) in addition to being named a consensus All-American as a senior in 2010.
• Finished his collegiate career with 33 sacks (fourth in school history) and 50.5 tackles for a loss in 47 games played (30 starts).
• Named to The Sporting News’ Freshman All-Big 12 Team in 2007 after seeing action in nine games as a true freshman for the Aggies.
• Selected by the Broncos in the first round (2nd overall) of the 2011 NFL Draft.
CAREER TRANSACTIONS:Signed by Denver as a draft choice 7/29/11.
Miller’s Single-Game Highs
(Postseason in parentheses)
Tackles — 10 at San Diego, 11/27/11 (7 vs. Baltimore, 1/12/13.) Sacks — 3, twice, last vs. San Diego, 11/18/12 (1 vs. Pittsburgh, 1/8/12). Sack yards — 29 vs. San Diego, 11/18/12 (4 vs. Pittsburgh, 1/8/12). Interceptions — 1 vs. Tampa Bay, 12/2/12 (None). Interception return yards — 26t vs. Tampa Bay, 12/2/12 (None). Forced Fumbles — 2 vs. San Diego, 11/18/12 (none). Fumble recoveries — 1 at New England, 11/24/13 (none). Fumble return yards — 60t at New England, 11/24/13 (none). Consecutive games with at least one sack — 6 Games 8-13, 2012 (1 vs. Pittsburgh, 1/8/12).
2013: Miller made his 2013 debut with two tackles, including one for a loss and two quarterback hits at Ind. (10/20)... Sacked Robert Griffin III and forced a fumble that was recovered by Derek Wolfe vs. Was. (10/27)... Registered a sack and finished with two tackles for loss at S.D. (11/10)... Recovered his first career fumble and returned it 60 yards for a touchdown at N.E. (11/24) to mark seventh-longest such play in team history... Deflected a pass that was intercepted by Terrance Knighton and forced a fumble that was recovered by Mike Adams, finishing with three solo tackles and a sack vs. Ten. (12/8).
2012: Miller started all 16 regular-season games and Denver’s playoff contest... Set a franchise single-season sack record with 18.5 QB takedowns (ranked third in NFL) and became the first Bronco to earn Pro Bowl selections in each of his first two NFL seasons... Named an All-Pro by PFW/PFWA and the Associated Press... Joined DeMarcus Ware (Dal., 2008) as one of two players since at least 1994 with 15 sacks, 25 tackles for a loss and five forced fumbles in a single season... Ranked second in the NFL with 28 tackles for a loss and tied for third in the league with six forced fumbles... Finished his second NFL season ranked in the Top 5 in sacks, quarterback knockdowns, quarterback hurries, tackles for a loss, run stuffs and forced fumbles... Named AFC Defensive Player of the Month for November after totaling 20 tackles (18 solo), eight sacks (54 yds.), 10 tackles for a loss and three forced fumbles in four games... Posted two sacks, both of which came on Pittsburgh’s final drive in Denver’s 31-19 season-opening victory (9/9)... Finished with four tackles, all of which came behind the line of scrimmage... Collected his third sack of the season when he took down Falcons QB Matt Ryan on a third down in the fourth quarter at Atl. (9/17)... Tied for third on the team with five tackles vs. Oak. (9/30) and added a pair of QB hits and one tackle for a loss... Tied his career high with a pair of sacks, while adding eight tackles (7 solo), a pass breakup, a forced fumble and five tackles for a loss at N.E. (10/7). His five TFLs against the Patriots represent the most by an NFL player in a single game through Week 5... Sacked QB Philip Rivers for a 6-yard loss during the Chargers’ final drive of the game... Tackled RB Darren Sproles for a 3-yard loss in the first quarter for his 14th tackle for a loss of the season... Set career highs with three sacks for 18 yards at Cin. (11/4), finishing with three tackles for a loss and four QB hits in the win... Earned Peter King’s Defensive Player of the Week award after he made six tackles, all of which came for a loss or no gain in addition to one sack, one forced fumble and a QB hit on Cam Newton that resulted in an interception returned for a touchdown at Car. (11/11)... Earned Peter King’s Defensive Player of the Week award after becoming the first Bronco since at least 1982 to record at least three sacks and two forced fumbles in a single game vs. S.D. (11/18)... Set a career high with 29 sack yards and his three sacks tied a career mark... Sacked QB Brady Quinn for a 1-yard loss at K.C. (11/25)... Intercepted his first career pass and returned it 26 yards for his first career score, while also registering a sack in his fifth-straight game to match a career-best streak and force a fumble vs. T.B. (12/2)... Extended his sack streak to a career-best six games and strip-sacked QB Carson Palmer for his fifth forced fumble in a five-week span at Oak. (12/6)... Made his 25th tackle for a loss of the season and hit QB Joe Flacco twice to force incompletions at Bal. (12/16)... Became the Broncos’ single-season sack record holder with 1.5 sacks vs. Cle. (12/23)... Sacked QB Brady Quinn to extend his single-season record to 18.5 vs. K.C. (12/30)... Led the team with nine tackles and split a sack in Denver’s Divisional-Round game vs. Bal. (1/12).
2011: Selected by Denver in the first round (2nd overall) of the 2011 NFL Draft, Miller started all 15 games played and tied the franchise rookie record with 11.5 sacks en route to being named the Associated Press NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year... Elected as a starter for the Pro Bowl to become just the second Bronco to play in the league’s annual All-Star game as a rookie in addition to garnering second-team All-Pro honors from the Associated Press... Finished fifth on the club with 64 tackles (50 solo) and added a team-best 19 tackles for a loss and 24 quarterback hits to go along with four passes defensed and two forced fumbles... Named the Denver Athletic Club’s Colorado Athlete of the Year... Missed Week 13 with a thumb injury and was forced to play the season’s final six games, including the playoffs, with a cast on his hand... Produced two separate five-game stretches with at least a half sack.
COLLEGE: Miller played 47 games (30 starts) at Texas A&M University and finished his career with 182 tackles (104 solo), 33 sacks (fourth in school history), 50.5 tackles for a loss, 10 forced fumbles and four fumble recoveries...Posted 27.5 sacks in 26 starts over his last two seasons and won the Butkus Award (nation’s best linebacker) in addition to being named a consensus All-American as a senior in 2010... Tabbed as a unanimous All-Big 12 Conference performer after leading the nation with 17 sacks (115 yds.) as a junior in 2009 playing a hybrid “jack” position... Named to The Sporting News’ Freshman All-Big 12 Team in 2007 after seeing action in nine games as a true freshman for the Aggies.
PERSONAL: Miller attended DeSoto High School in DeSoto, Texas, where he was named the District 8-5A Defensive MVP as a senior after totaling 76 tackles and six sacks... Rated the No. 6 middle linebacker in the nation by Scout.com and was named to Dave Campbell’s Texas Football Super Team (second-team defensive line)... Majored in university studies with a concentration in agriculture and life sciences at Texas A&M... Von Miller was born on March 29, 1989, in DeSoto, Texas.
Von Miller says he was forced to mature the last six weeks and that he's now ready to earn back what he lost with a suspension.
Linebacker Von Miller talks about his offseason program, expanding his leadership role and his first flock of chickens.
Linebacker Von Miller discusses what Peyton Manning's leadership means to the Broncos on NFL Network.
Linebacker Von Miller joins "NFL Total Access" to share the spectacular story of his cousin coming out of a coma.