DENVER -- The Broncos welcomed fans to Sports Authority Field at Mile High on Sunday for their first of three open practices.
John Boyett, Jameson Konz and Greg Latta were at practice but did not participate. Aslam Sterling was also out today.
Demaryius Thomas remains excused from training camp due to a death in the family.
DeMarcus Ware’s day ended about halfway through practice due to a lower leg bruise.
· Peyton Manning and Wes Welker were dynamic throughout the day. During 7-on-7's, after a seam route down the sideline, Welker caught an impeccably placed pass from Manning and was immediately tackled in the end zone by Rahim Moore. During the team’s red-zone drill, Welker caught a pass right on the goal line, giving fans a glimpse of the magic they saw last season between him and Manning.
· Manning also connected with newcomer Emmanuel Sanders on multiple occasions throughout the day, including an early one-handed grab in the end zone during red-zone warm ups.
· Once again, the defensive line thrived. Lerentee McCray and DeMarcus Ware both “sacked” Manning and Sylvester Williams tipped a pass from Manning. On Friday, Williams intercepted Manning for the first time. Williams' speed was obvious throughout the day and he continually put pressure on Manning and the running backs. Each of the quarterbacks were either “sacked” or forced to throw the ball away at some point in the day.
· C.J. Anderson stood out at practice, showing his ability to get around the edge throughout the day. He also powered through the Broncos’ defensive line for a touchdown up the middle.
· Rookie Bradley Roby turned in perhaps the highlight of his camp so far when he leaped to break up a pass to Julius Thomas, preventing a red-zone touchdown.
· On the next play, T.J. Ward anticipated another Manning-to-Thomas pass and knocked down the ball at the goal line. There was an emphasis on the red zone during practice today, and Ward aided the defense in making some big defensive stops. The defense forced multiple incompletions from the offense and held them at the goal line on multiple occasions.
· Undrafted rookie wide receiver Greg Hardin put on a show for the fans with a diving catch on a deep pass from Brock Osweiler. Hardin also caught a touchdown pass from Zac Dysert during red zone drills.
· After catching a touchdown pass from Manning, Jacob Tamme’s celebration dance involved “riding the Bronco.”
· Julius Thomas took the microphone to thank fans before practice started and let the crowd know how much the team misses them during camp.
· Manning was the first player on the field, signing autographs for fans near the south end zone.
· There were 21,933 fans in attendance on Sunday.